Just Keep Swimming

I have really been procrastinating on writing this post………

In the beginning of this last cycle I was all gun-ho(?) and for sure that I would get pregnant after we inseminated with donor sperm. This is the journey of infertility. For the last, almost 7 years, we have had our own private emotional roller coaster to ride over and over and over and over and over. I’m sure you can guess from the tone of this paragraph that this last cycle was unsuccessful.

Going into this new experience, my hubby and I really didn’t know what to expect. On our drive over to the home of our donor, I kept bombarding the hubster with questions such as “Do we make small talk with him?”, Do we just take the sample and leave?”, “What type of etiquette are we supposed to have in this situation?” I think I might just write a book on private sperm donor pick up etiquette! LOL! After pulling into the driveway of our donor in the middle of that dark cold misty night, all I could think about was, “I wonder what his neighbors think?” If I was his neighbor and was unaware of what was going down, I would have suspected him for a drug dealer. LOL! After the first few minutes of making small talk with him in person for the first time all my anxieties about what to do in this situation disappeared. He is just a normal guy who was probably just as nervous as we were.

Later that night, walking into our hotel with our sample was rather strange. I was so afraid someone was going to see it and think I was a freak. Imagine trying to explain what I was carrying to the hotel staff…… Anyways, within in 20mins of receiving our sample we had completed our insemination on our own and were enjoying a most delicious pizza from Papa Johns. I must say, I feel really sorry for the person that had to clean our hotel room. I wonder what he or she might have thought after seeing an empty pizza box, a sterile cup, and syringes in the trash…..

Overall, our experience was amazing. It was so much better than having insemination with a donor in the doctor’s office. For my hubby and I, it was more intament. Instead of having all these doctors and nurses between my legs with a long tube making me feel incredibly awkward and uncomfortable, it was just a romantic evening with my husband. Having our private donor made our experience of trying for a baby closer to how it should be. I would take this experience over IUI in the doctor’s office any day.

Thank you so much to our donor (you know who you are) for making this possible and for giving us the opportunity to keep this between my husband and I. May God bless you abundantly for your generosity and your kindness.

Even though this first cycle of private donor sperm was unsuccessful, I am confident that eventually it will work. Keep us in prayer as we continue to work with our donor over the coming months. In the infamous words of Dory from Finding Nemo, “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!”
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment