Costs Of Donor Sperm
I recently read an article about the now highly publicized private free sperm donor. Which I would like to add, I am in full support of. I wish there were more men out there in the world that would do what he is doing. I was appalled at a statement from the executive director of the Pacific Reproductive Services in San Francisco, Sherron Mills. She stated in her comment that,
"Rates there range from $425 to $600 or more per insemination, and any woman who finds such a sum too onerous to pay is probably unable to afford routine costs associated with being a parent, Mills said. "Once you have kids, it costs every bit as much every month," she said."
Well Ms Mills, I am one of those women that you have so rudely stated that if I can't afford sperm through an overpriced sperm bank, than I can't afford having kids. I would like to correct you. That amount you have given is for one sample. You failed to mention that doctors require 2 samples per insemination ($850+), that there is an almost $300 fee for shipping and handling, over $200 fee for picture comparison between donor and partner, taxes to pay on the sperm, ovulation kits($30 for 7 test sticks which is for one cycle), infertility meds such as clomid in pill form ($5 for one cycle if you have excellent health coverage on meds like I do, if not $20 or more for one cycle), clomid in shot form ($200+ with insurance) and then of course the fees from the doctor who preforms the insemination ($2,000 for one round of insemination). That brings the total to almost $4,000!!!! Who has an extra $4,000+ to spend each month for this?!?!?!?! I don't! Does this not qualify me to be a parent? Lets not forgot that the majority of insurances cover some infertility with a cap on it after only two tries, but the majority do not cover it at all.
My husband and I used the California Cryo Bank back in 2008 and 2009. With in 5 months we spent $10,000 which drained our savings. This did not include the other times we used donor sperm with IUI from the Cryo Bank.
In addition, I am the mother of an almost 2 year old son (it does not cost me almost $4,000 a month to take care of him), college educated, a home owner, I have an excellent job working at the University of California Davis Medical Center, and my husband has a great job as well. We are your typical middle class American family that does not have this type of extra money laying around.
The FDA and sperm banks have made having children for the super rich and according to you Ms. Mills in your opinion couples that cannot afford these inflated prices are probably not financially able to have a child. Shame on you! You, Ms Mills, obviously have never had trouble conceiving and you obviously have not been financially and emotionally drained by infertility. Thank you for showing your true colors. This proves to me more that this is more of a money making business than it is in helping couples conceive. I will NEVER be using your sperm bank. You , Ms Mills, are in it for the money rather than helping families achieve their dreams of having children.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/20/us-ca-sperm-donor-idUSTRE7BJ2E620111220
"Rates there range from $425 to $600 or more per insemination, and any woman who finds such a sum too onerous to pay is probably unable to afford routine costs associated with being a parent, Mills said. "Once you have kids, it costs every bit as much every month," she said."
Well Ms Mills, I am one of those women that you have so rudely stated that if I can't afford sperm through an overpriced sperm bank, than I can't afford having kids. I would like to correct you. That amount you have given is for one sample. You failed to mention that doctors require 2 samples per insemination ($850+), that there is an almost $300 fee for shipping and handling, over $200 fee for picture comparison between donor and partner, taxes to pay on the sperm, ovulation kits($30 for 7 test sticks which is for one cycle), infertility meds such as clomid in pill form ($5 for one cycle if you have excellent health coverage on meds like I do, if not $20 or more for one cycle), clomid in shot form ($200+ with insurance) and then of course the fees from the doctor who preforms the insemination ($2,000 for one round of insemination). That brings the total to almost $4,000!!!! Who has an extra $4,000+ to spend each month for this?!?!?!?! I don't! Does this not qualify me to be a parent? Lets not forgot that the majority of insurances cover some infertility with a cap on it after only two tries, but the majority do not cover it at all.
My husband and I used the California Cryo Bank back in 2008 and 2009. With in 5 months we spent $10,000 which drained our savings. This did not include the other times we used donor sperm with IUI from the Cryo Bank.
In addition, I am the mother of an almost 2 year old son (it does not cost me almost $4,000 a month to take care of him), college educated, a home owner, I have an excellent job working at the University of California Davis Medical Center, and my husband has a great job as well. We are your typical middle class American family that does not have this type of extra money laying around.
The FDA and sperm banks have made having children for the super rich and according to you Ms. Mills in your opinion couples that cannot afford these inflated prices are probably not financially able to have a child. Shame on you! You, Ms Mills, obviously have never had trouble conceiving and you obviously have not been financially and emotionally drained by infertility. Thank you for showing your true colors. This proves to me more that this is more of a money making business than it is in helping couples conceive. I will NEVER be using your sperm bank. You , Ms Mills, are in it for the money rather than helping families achieve their dreams of having children.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/20/us-ca-sperm-donor-idUSTRE7BJ2E620111220
No comments:
Post a Comment